Monday, May 30, 2011

NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA

Lauren & I left San Antonio on Feb 1st and spent one night in Baytown, Texas and then off to Baton Rouge. We hit a storm with rain so hard that I almost pulled off the road but I wanted to get to the RV Park before dark. The storm broke and we pulled into the KOA in Baton Rouge. By the time we did the paperwork and pulled into our spot, the rain started again and we were soaked by the time we got everything set up. When it wasn’t raining, it was freezing and the black ice caused a fifteen car pile up on the highway so all federal, state and city employees were told to stay home. So did everyone else and Baton Rouge was closed for two days.

We did get a beautiful but cold day for exploring New Orleans. We had a wonderful day and got out of town before the town got really busy around 4pm. The French Quarter was unaffected by Katrina. At the end of our day, we were walking through a flea market when I suddenly stopped dead and told Lauren that Grandma loved this flea market whenever she was in New Orleans before she boarded the cruise ship. It was a nice memory and Lauren & I proceeded to buy beads for her and a wonderful mask for me. It is perfect for the trailer and looks great. We had beignets (hot doughnuts but sooooooooooooooo much better) and the best Chai tea ever. We got beers at the oldest bar in New Orleans and found out that the bars only close for one hour in the entire year.

We took a horse and buggy ride. There was already one couple in the buggy but the driver wouldn’t leave until he got a total of six people. I told him I would pay for one extra person but we needed to get going right away. It worked and we got a tour of the Quarter. The driver must have been doing this for years because he didn’t like to be interrupted from his spiel so I kept interrupting just for sport!

I have divided the pictures into buildings, people, statues and signs. Enjoy New Orleans!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment