Monday, July 26, 2010

PARADE, POLITICIANS AND PATRIOTISM

















If there is one thing that the Americans do better than any other nations, it is their patriotism. I drove to Prescott on July 3rd to see their Pioneer Day Parade. I got lost (I thought that I was too smart to need OnStar) so by the time I arrive in Prescott, the parade had started and there was no parking nearby. I parked in a church lot and got to a spot where I could see the parade and still be in the crowd to really enjoy the experience. There were school bands and local business floats and horses and cowboys and pretty girls and POLITICIANS. Since it is an election year, the local politicians will attend everything. Red, white and blue everywhere and kids and adults having a great time. When anyone passed in an Armed Forces uniform they received thundering applause.

The parade lasted about 90 minutes then everyone dispersed into the City Centre Square where there were booths with jewellery, hand-made goods, pictures, local crafts, cowboy hats, produce and pasta. It was so much fun to wonder through the area for another hour then off to the rodeo with my new cowboy hat!

The Prescott Rodeo is the oldest in the world and my first rodeo. The rodeo takes place over 5 days and each part is only 2 hours but great fun. After watching some of the riders, I realize that 8 seconds can be a long, long time to stay on the bull. To summarize the rodeo – beer, sunshine, action, hot dogs, beer, cowboys, beer……. A PERFECT DAY!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment