Monday, July 26, 2010

LAS VEGAS, BRYCE CANYON, LAS VEGAS























I left Williams, Arizona on Tuesday July 6th and headed to Las Vegas. I really hated to leave the area and the KOA RV Park but I was off to pick up my favourite daughter for a 10 day visit. It was a great day to haul the trailer and I was really enjoying the drive when I had to stop at a check point just south of the Hoover Dam. The officer had me open the tonneau cover on the truck and one of the doors on the trailer. He was with Homeland Security and they check all vehicles prior to driving over the dam. It was an interesting experience.

I arrived in Vegas and just left the trailer hooked to the truck and took a cab to the airport to get Lauren. I had really missed her and it was so good to get her hugs. We just hung around the trailer that night and left early in the morning for Bryce Canyon, Utah. It took a few wrong turns on my part before we got out of Vegas but once we were on the road it was so much fun. We stopped to get gas at a place just outside Vegas. Not only could we get gas, we could also get coffee, alcohol, baked goods, sandwiches, crappy Indian jewellery and, wait for it, FIREWORKS. The space allotted to the fireworks is about the size of an entire 7-11 and we had a great time reading all the names of the fireworks. We also found out where old slot machines go to die. They had about 70 slots. And this entire business venture is owned by the local Indians.

We got to the KOA in Cannonville and just spent the rest of the day getting everything organized. We hung out doing nothing for some of the days; we went on a few day trips and spent a day at Bryce Canyon.

Bryce Canyon’s original inhabitants, the Paiutes, believed that the rock figures here were people turned to stone by angry gods. Delicately coloured spires, fins and mazes haunt our imagination and beckon us to explore them more closely. The towering rock formations are called “hoodoos”. (Yes I copied this from the brochure – why re-invent the wheel).

We left this wonderful area and headed back to Las Vegas a day early; just in time for the GATES OF HELL TO OPEN UP AND DISGORGE FIERY AIR AT US!!!!! It was 120 degrees every day and all day. Even the locals were complaining. The trailer only has one air conditioner and it was working overtime. We went to the CSI exhibit one day and a Cirque show another day. Poor Lauren, by the time I sent her back to the airport she was pretty worn out and so was I. I left Vegas three days earlier than I had planned and headed to Ely, Nevada. It is north of Vegas but more importantly it is at a higher elevation so even though it is warm (maybe 90 degrees in the day) there is a wonderful breeze and it cools off at night.

It will be a cold day in HELL before I go back to Las Vegas and not just because of the heat but it holds no charm. I prefer natural attractions to man-made attractions. National Parks here I come!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment